Monday, September 04, 2006

Sacrifice

I am 7 kyu now. I play GO for 2 years, but my first year was a bit slow. Made it from 18 kyu to 7 kyu last year. This required a great deal of work, time and money. But this is the smallest price one can pay for this passion.

The greatest challenge I have to face is (brace yourselves) my girlfriend. She is a constant challenge always complaining not giving her enough attention and she thinks I don't care about her (this is not at all true). She has the idea that when she is around I should ignore everything, not even talk with my friends, but devote my entire attention to her. She thinks I love GO and my go friends more than her.

This puts a great deal of pressure on me. I decided to tell her that this is a passion that she can't control and I would not give this up for anything in the world. She is not very happy about this and didn't talk to me for two days.

Is this a common problem among GO players?

You can follow this discussion here.


Later edit after I had a discussion with my girlfriend:

She is not "around 15 kyu" (as I said on godiscussions.com forum), she is better that 15 kyu but I can't figure out how much better, she rarely plays with me now (she stopped playing with me recently because I annoy her with my moves). - her request to add the info about her rank :P

I also have to mention that the above events happened in the recess before the final round of a GO competition and I was very stressed by my results. She was also having a hard day preparing for school and that made the conversation a bit edgy for both of us.
She told me that I did not understand her that day, and that she didn't have a problem with my go or my go friends. She just thought that I should spend time with her when I can because we see each other once a week (1-2 days) and I can see my go friends every other day at the club.

Fair enough. Let's see how this works. :)

No comments: